Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Frankestein, Dracula




These were some of the biggest pieces I had in my thesis. I think that Dracula took me the longest. I was trying so hard to make this great montage of sex and blood, when i should have just been focusing on the simple aspects of his character. Frankenstein took the longest
to complete through the painting process. There is probably 25hrs of work on just painting him, because i messed up a few times and could not decide on what media to stick with. I also used Dorlands wax to build of texture in the shoulder and other parts. The Jekyll and Hyde piece took a little time just for the fact that it was 48x48, but the bigger i work the better i can get in there with the airbrush and get some organic looking shapes, and whats also good about working big is that I can airbrush come back in with some light acrylic brush work and slowly bring back form. I usually lay down a color and then spray its compliment and then i get some nice natural value changes that doesn't look airbrushy, and then i add some brush texture and work back into it with the brush and airbrush.

1 comment:

AnatomyCatastrophe said...

I'm going to have your dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde painting tattooed on me, I just love your take on these characters, im definitely watching out for more work by you